Truffle hunting tour with roundtrip transportation from central Florence
After pick-up from our convenient meeting points in downtown Florence, you will be chauffeured to the gentle hills that crown the Arno valley just south of the Renaissance capital. While the area enjoys worldwide fame for its Chianti vineyards, its soil also yields excellent truffles. With the help of an English-speaking private guide, you will spend about 1½ hours in the woods searching for truffles under the expert guidance of a professional truffle hunter and his fully-trained dog.
Watch the irresistible dog – the real star of the day! - sniff out the prized tubers, while his two-legged team-leader explains the search techniques and introduces you to the territory and its truffle varieties with their different quality factors and seasonality. And once the dog locates a truffle, have fun digging it out with your own hands! At the end of the hunt, you will be treated to a rustic picnic of truffle crostini, Tuscan bread, tasty cold cuts and local wine.
However, most of our guests opt for a luscious meal at the truffle hunter's home after the search. In this case, you will enjoy a convivial lunch of truffle canapés, heavenly tagliatelle pasta with truffle, and a juicy Florentine-style T-bone steak, all paired with excellent Chianti Classico wines specifically chosen to compliment the menu. Cantucci almond cookies, Vinsanto sweet wine and coffee will round up this unforgettable tastebud experience.
Before returning to Florence at the end of this delightful Tuscan countryside foray, you will have the opportunity to purchase – directly from the truffle hunter's – authentic truffle-based products to enjoy back at home with your dear ones while recounting this fun treasure hunt.
We also provide the option to combine this tour with one of our exciting horseback programs, making this a day-long full immersion in the glorious Tuscan countryside.
FROM 230 PAX
- Period: year round
- Meeting points:
Suggested departure times**:
Piazza Adua (Train Station area) at 10:00 or 15:30
National Library, Piazza dei Cavalleggeri (Santa Croce area) at 10:30 or 16:00
Meeting points map
* Door-to-door transfers may be arranged by prior agreement if your accommodation is outside the restricted traffic area; please inquire.
** Different times may be agreed to meet your schedule, please contact us for details.
- Duration: half day
- Languages: English, Italian, French, German
- Participants: no minimum; maximum 8
- Suitable clothing: long pants and sports shoes
- Experience: none required
- Weather policy: In case of rain or other severe weather conditions, the truffle hunt can be replaced with a guided tour (English / Spanish) of the Santa Croce Basilica & Museum, or cancelled with a 20% discount off the tour price, while the gastronomic part will be held in an old traditional grocery store.
- Customizations: Vegetarian, vegan or gluten free options may be offered with advance notice.
- Payment: at the excursion start
- Reservation: required (short-notice arrangements may be possible, please give us a call to check).
- Full private round-trip transportation
- English-speaking guide
- Complimentary bottle of water
- Delicious truffle-based lunch with Florentine steak
- Full-day program including a horseback ride (please ask for a quote)